Help with the Cost of The School Day

There is a wide range of financial help if you are on a low income and your child is at school.  This includes:

  • Footwear and Clothing Grants
  • Free Schools Meals
  • Education Maintenance Allowance

Information and application forms can be accessed here for FSM and Footwear & Clothing Grants

Further Information regarding EMA can be found here

The Footwear and Clothing Grant is a one off annual payment per child towards the cost of buying essential clothing for children up to the age of 16 who attend school. Applications are open until 31st December.  A short application form is required along with your most recent Tax Credit award letter.

Free School Meals are now available for all Primary 1 – 3 pupils. You will need to apply for Free School Meals for older children and you can do this at any time.

Access to free school meals is an important part of the school meal service in Scotland. Local authorities must promote the uptake of free school meals amongst those currently eligible. It is important that pupils entitled to free school meals receive them without fear of stigmatisation. The free school meal entitlement is therefore credited to pupils’ electronic lunch cards automatically each day and they are not identified in any way.

You can claim free school lunches for your children if you are receiving:

* Income Support (IS)

* Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)

* Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance

* Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit, and your income is less than £16,105

* Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your income is under £6,420

* Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

* Universal Credit

Education Maintenance Allowance is a weekly allowance of £30 and this is paid to young people who stay in full-time education at school or college after their 16th birthday.  It can be paid for a maximum of 3 consecutive years, and must be applied for each year. The young person has to satisfy attendance requirements and complete a learning agreement.  This is paid directly to the young person and entitlement is dependent on their parents’ income.

To find out more information on all of the above and how to apply, please go online to the Council Website and search for school grants.

Please contact the school if you would like a paper copy, or if you require assistance in completing the forms.